
Things have been a bit busy for me the last few weeks as I have been trying to get things at work in order before I head into the hospital on Friday for a partial hysterectomy. I'll spare my readers the gory details but the short version is that I have a growth called a fibroid that is causing me major problems. Exhausted is a crazy understatement for how I'm feeling, and even as of 3 months ago I could not imagine being this immensely relieved to have an organ removed.
I briefly considered a procedure where an interventional radiologist snakes a wire up your femoral artery to the area where the blood is supplying the uterus and they insert plastic beads to block the blood flow, effectively killing the area that is malfunctioning. It seemed like a good idea until I found out that it is excruciatingly painful, for some people it doesn't work, and here's the kicker... some people deliver their fibroid weeks after the procedure. Excuse me? I'll pass, thanks.
After a few weeks of telling my patients that I was planning a brief medical leave, and seeing the very concerned looks, I decided just to tell them I'm going for a hysterectomy. People had very interesting responses, mostly that they are so very sorry about my loss. Then finally one of my patients responded "oh, I did that, it was the best thing EVER!" Now that is what I needed to hear.
So other than that, the big and much more exciting news is that Julian is starting to use the potty. He'll pee every time we set him down, and he's even managed a #2 a few times for us. I'm under no delusion that he is on the verge of getting out of diapers, but even if his diaper use cuts in half I'll feel better (tree hugger alert) about the landfills. Some day J is going to have my head for posting this but I have to do it.

The weather here is turning, finally, to spring, or last week oddly enough to deep summer, and we are all enjoying being outside more. Our city is full of beautiful flowers blooming everywhere. Stunning.

Mindy, Ann, and the twins came over for brunch on Sunday. I have absolutely no idea how anyone parents more than one child. I am awed. I cooked breakfast for everyone, we hung out for a bit, then as soon as they left I fell asleep for 2 hours.

I probably won't post again until after the surgery, so I'll catch up with y'all next week.



7 comments:
Good luck with your surgery!
Kerri and Ruby
Samantha I will be sending you my thoughts and prayers for your surgery! {{{BIG HUGS}}} I'm glad you are getting it over with and hopefully you will be feeling better soon! AND OMG YOUR BIG BOY IS ON THE POTTY? That's awesome!!!! Ya know, my boys were both potty trained by 2.5 (one was 22mo and the other was 2.5). It was my girls that decided they liked diapers until they were much older. LOL
I just read your post about an hour after talking to my cousin who is going to have the same thing on June 6th. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a more comfortable future ahead!
I just happened to check the blog and read about your surgery on Friday. I'll be thinking of you and wish you the best of luck in surgery and recovery. If there is anything that I can do, even the seemingly stupidest question, please don't hesitate to ask.
Laura
I will be sending some good vibes to you for your surgery. I am sorry you have to go through it. I hope it makes you feel TONS better. I will be thinking of you.
And as for Mr. Big Boy Julian on the potty! My oh my he is ADORABLE!!! What a big boy!
I'm late to the party but hope things went well with the surgery!
Just read the blog. Hope you're feeling better. We wish you a speedy recovery. With all the love around you, you'll recover in no time.
Love the picture of J. on the potty reading. He takes after his Papa.
Love to you and the two Js.
Brenda
Post a Comment