9.06.2008

Reptile Man.



So I'm finally recovered from vacation. Got home to a week of exhaustion that I haven't felt since before I had my surgery. From now on, no vacation. What? You heard me, no vacation. Anyone that loves me can come here and I'm happy to pitch in for plane, train and bus tickets. I'm happy to take a week off. But if y'all want to see the Julian it's either here or Jon's going alone- until Julian is 3.

This weekend our adoption agency had their annual "reunion" the name of which is a bit confusing to me as I don't know anyone but the staff. Nevertheless we loaded up the car and drove to east crack of nowhere to a suburban play park just in time to see the hired entertainment. "Reptile man" unloaded his crates of snakes, snapping turtles, lizards etc. Oh joy. Julian had had enough within about 8 minutes. And tell me, really, wouldn't you expect "reptile man" to be a guy with scales tattooed all over his body, a slit in his tongue and some weird creepy contact lenses? Reptile keeper maybe. Reptile man? I think not.

Then home for a nap and straight to a bbq when J got up. One woman was talking about her 3 year old daughter sitting in the tub scooched up to the faucet. When the mom went to turn the water off the girl said "NO mommy, I'm washing my vagina!" At which point another mom pops out with "Wow, I didn't figure that out until I was 30!" I'm still cracking up.

Julian is recovering from another upper respiratory tract infection and a bout of asthma. Another round of steroids and his nebulizer every 4-6 hours. He is such a trooper. (BTW just looked it up and apparently you can use trooper or trouper. Who knew?!) Anyway...he's feeling much better now. The roughest part is that the meds turn him into a frantic ranting raving running jumping spinning twirling lunatic. Getting him down is virtually impossible until he just collapses. I imagine it is like when you have that one last shot of espresso even though you know you shouldn't and they 'oops' make it a quadruple.



It doesn't keep him from wanting to snuggle with mama during milk time though, thank goodness.





Here are a few shots Sharon took at the mountain last week. She calls the first one "Sleeping Boy with Brocolli."







xo
-s

4 comments:

Gwen, Jenny, & Mia said...

Uh-oh am I in for it when we go on vacation??

the agency picnic complete with reptile man sounds GREAT!! What parent doesn't want their child to play with a snapping turtle?!? Strange.

Poor Julian. He is a trooper or trouper (I didn't know) to put up with the nebulizer and all the things that go with asthma : (

He is so stinking cute...my word his smile would light up a room! You guys look so cute snuggling too, what a sweet boy you have!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through a friend's blog. We are also an adoptive family. Our son Paolo is from Guatemala and has asthma. Please feel free to e-mail anytime to share experiences ideas fmc8787@yahoo.com

Fran

Jennifer said...

I feel for ya regarding the "vacation." People don't seem to realize how hard it is to get a toddler ready to go out for a day trip, much less an extended visit. I'm sorry Julian's having to use the nebulizer. I've had a couple of friends whose kids had asthma when they were his age, and grew out of it, so I hope this is true for Julian. Lastly, I love the tractor!

--Jennifer (Daniel's mom)

Michelle Smiles said...

Sleeping boy with broccoli - that cracks me up for some reason.

Vacation with small children is a vacation for no one. I'm still threatening to boycott Christmas up north this year after the Trip Of Which We Do Not Speak over Labor day.

Sad that he has to be a trooper...but glad he handles it well. Such a cutie!