We live in a place where it rarely snows. When it does snow the city practically shuts down because it owns only a few snowplows. No salt because it harms the environment. So here we are after a week or so of snow and ice. Only a handful of patients showed up last week. There's not a chance that tomorrow will be any different. Now ordinarily a few days off would be great but my kid has not been outside in 7 days except to go to the hospital and the doctor. Yep, you heard me. He got sick (will fill you in on that at the end of the post) after being outside and getting very chilled and now he says "no like dat coat" if we try to put a ski jacket on him and "no, mine no like dohz, i no wear them." if we try to put the snow pants on him. I suppose it doesn't matter all that much because his only boots are too small anyway. Sigh. Like I said, we're not prepared for this kind of weather here.
In this photo you are looking out our front door across the street. The snow you see will sit there until it melts. All of it.

We've been stuck inside making caves, forts, and tunnels, cooking, and trying to say 'what else is there that we can do?' when julian is whining to watch baby signing time one more time. When he was sick we put on his first movie- The Jungle Book. It was really fun, I'm glad we caved.
Speaking of cave, here are some cave and tunnel shots.



And Julian helping his Papi make pancakes.
Don't tell anyone about our secret ingredient.


Our holiday tree with handmade ornaments that the lovely Erin made in Guatemala where she has been living while she waits for her daughter's seemingly interminable adoption to come through (which it looks like it finally has!!) Please check out her shop if you're in the market for cool handmade crafts and jewelry from recycled Guatemalan fabrics and eco beads.

Julian, always wanting to be "'kitty #1" will follow Elwynn around until she loses her shit and just scratches him. He then cries and it starts all over again. Ah, the undefeatable toddler spirit.


Coconut curried rice noodle...yum.

And static...another unusual sitch here.

And the night before Julian got sick.

So here's the story. Jules had a little runny nose. No biggie. I was home with him because it was icy and I'd closed the office. Jon rode his bike to work (I know...I know.) At naptime Julian had a low grade fever so I gave him some Tylenol. He seemed much better, just a little punky that afternoon.
Ok, then it's after dinner and Julian and his Papi take a bath. Julian crawls up next to me to read a book after that and he is hot. His fever is about 101 so we give him Tylenol again and I walk to the market to get eggs (this is one of the reasons I love the city but I digress...) When I get up to the front porch I hear this awful wailing from inside. I open the door and Jon yells that he's called 9-1-1. Julian has had a seizure. We both know that this can happen from a spiking fever for a little one but it didn't make it any less scary. The fire truck and ambulance arrived a few minutes later.
Julian and I took the ambulance to the hospital and Jon chased us with the car chained up on a highway with no ice on it. Strapped into his car seat on the sled in the ambulance Julian said with a proud and very serious tone to the EMT "I'm a big boy," and then "I'm Latino." It was a fabulous moment...I laughed so hard.
So by the time we got to the hospital Julian was alert and fine. He got wheeled in on the sled and we were transferred to a room where we sat for 2 hours. By the time the doc got to us we're simply managing his freaking asthma- which could have been done from home. But how can you say no? Same drill...steroids, nebulizer (administered by a scraggy hippie therapist that smelled like an ashtray with body odor- delish), xray, blah blah blah. We got home after midnight and Julian headed into another bout of bronchiolitis and bad asthma such as the one that landed us in the hospital in February. He's just coming out of it now.
And life goes on...
Here's my non J shot of the week.



3 comments:
So sorry!! Poor Julian. How scary. Glad he's doing better. Give him big hugs from us.
xoxoxo
Poor Julian and poor mom and dad. The whole world changes when it's you're own kid getting sick.
Your world sounds much like Tulsa when it comes to snow.
Your poor Julian. Good thing he has such a great mom and dad to take care of him! I am so glad he is doing better. He sure is cute with his finger up his nose! I love that instead of you telling him to get his finger out of his nose you pick up the camera!
UMMM....it doesn't snow in your area. No freaking fair it is like -10 today and we have 20 feet of freaking snow! Ok, I am exaggerating a bit, but not much. Must be nice : ) I will try to stop being jealous.
Post a Comment