Observations, musings, and reports on Julian & his busy parents.
4.13.2009
Soccer or Gymnastics?
I know I need to do a proper post. Can't deal now but I do need your opinion- soccer or gymnastics? We're already doing music and swimming if that affects your input.
Which one is Julian most interested in? Does he like to run then soccer, if he likes to tumble then gymnastics. But with music and swimming does he really need another one? Just my 2 cents
Gymnastics is great. I did it as a kid and loved it. It helps with balance, coordination and strength. The problem - you need a specialized place to do it. Not something you can really continue as a fun exercise as an adult. Soccer - may help less with balance but good strength and coordination. I'm pushing Medina and Ruby that way because it can be fun now and also a great recreational sport/exercise as an adult. Plus we can have fun practicing in the back yard.
Gymnastics now, soccer later. OK, why? Because gymnastics is a great foundation for all the other sports...and self -esteem, and stretching. And soccer will always be cool (I think). If you start soccer now, he may never want to try gymnastics when he is older.
more time with kids, teamwork and running around with soccer. more chance of hurting himself and competitiveness with gymnastics? that said, I never would have done soccer and would have picked gymnastics myself-- but maybe if I'd not been a spaz and had a chance at team sports as a little 'un...? he does love standing on his head... :)
Hey Samantha! Love the gymnastics/soccer question. We are going for an gymnastics intro class this summer. (1xwk, q40min)Have seen our soccer option in action and for this age group it was more like wild running in the grass! :)
I say gymnastic because he can do soccer later and eventually he may feel gymnastics is not "cool" or the "boy" thing to do. Soccer will always be there! By the way I LOVE soccer!
Just wanted to comment on the last poster's comment. Julian loves to run and spin and jump and kick and play with other kids. The soccer is actually a parent/child soccer- so is the swimming (which just closed btw) and the music. Not sure about the gymnastics. I would feel sad for Julian if the only things he learned were from us! Ah if we only lived in a village...
10 comments:
Which one is Julian most interested in? Does he like to run then soccer, if he likes to tumble then gymnastics. But with music and swimming does he really need another one? Just my 2 cents
Hum, thats a toss up for me. Does he like to run around or do summersault? Let him feel like a big boy and pick.
Gymnastics is great. I did it as a kid and loved it. It helps with balance, coordination and strength. The problem - you need a specialized place to do it. Not something you can really continue as a fun exercise as an adult.
Soccer - may help less with balance but good strength and coordination. I'm pushing Medina and Ruby that way because it can be fun now and also a great recreational sport/exercise as an adult. Plus we can have fun practicing in the back yard.
Gymnastics now, soccer later.
OK, why?
Because gymnastics is a great foundation for all the other sports...and self -esteem, and stretching. And soccer will always be cool (I think). If you start soccer now, he may never want to try gymnastics when he is older.
more time with kids, teamwork and running around with soccer. more chance of hurting himself and competitiveness with gymnastics? that said, I never would have done soccer and would have picked gymnastics myself-- but maybe if I'd not been a spaz and had a chance at team sports as a little 'un...? he does love standing on his head...
:)
Hey Samantha! Love the gymnastics/soccer question. We are going for an gymnastics intro class this summer. (1xwk, q40min)Have seen our soccer option in action and for this age group it was more like wild running in the grass! :)
Good luck!
I say gymnastic because he can do soccer later and eventually he may feel gymnastics is not "cool" or the "boy" thing to do. Soccer will always be there! By the way I LOVE soccer!
Andy and I think you should go with whatever YOU would rather sit through- soccer in the springtime drizzle, or gymnastics in air conditioning?
neither... let kids be kids. "You Are Your Child's First Teacher" by Rahima Baldwin Dancy
Just wanted to comment on the last poster's comment. Julian loves to run and spin and jump and kick and play with other kids. The soccer is actually a parent/child soccer- so is the swimming (which just closed btw) and the music. Not sure about the gymnastics. I would feel sad for Julian if the only things he learned were from us! Ah if we only lived in a village...
Post a Comment