
Jon's birthday was last week. We celebrated both of our birthdays with a lovely romantic dinner on Saturday. Then we met some friends for drinks after that to toast our birthdays but mostly to celebrate for Jon. As much as I want to dig into the story of that night right now, I'm not ready. But do check back, I'll post soon. It's a doozie.
And my birthday is today.
Honestly I've been feeling a bit unnerved by turning 40.
I know my life is great, it only gets better blah blah but it was just a bit tough, that's all.
Part vanity, part just feel like 40 is a lot of years to pass...
No yelling from those of you over 40 please. I know when I'm 50 this will seem like nothing. But here I am today, and it's a little hard.
Well for my birthday Jon got me a very thoughtful gift (he's more the last minute type so it's a big deal)- a personalized mini Flip video with a photo that I took outside of Flores, Guatemala on the actual Flip case!
And 3 beautiful photos from our recent family photo shoot mounted on bamboo. Beautiful.
Here are a few shots from that incredible photo shoot. The photographer/artist is Jen Downer of She Saw Things. I'll post more of them later.



Anyway, after hanging with my amazing little boy this morning I went to the spa for a facial, massage and mani. Heaven.
And then against all odds 11 of my girlfriends showed up for a happy hour snack even though I just sent out the invite a few days ago.
Then I got a phone call from my amazing girlfriend Stephanie who lives in Florida. She told me that she had a special surprise for me waiting at the local health food store.
I'm figuring it's a cake, but really, I'm not so into cake.
To me, things that are that sweet are icky, I'm more of an extra helping of organic meat and skip the dessert kind of girl.
I am marveling at how thoughtful it was, regardless.
I arrive at the store, walk in and go up to the catering area and tell them I'm picking something up but I don't know what it is. I give my name.
They all light up and start laughing.
They deliver me the box, tell me not to open it until I'm home, not to let it jiggle from side to side at all, and that when I open it I should imagine all of the people working on it having the most amazing time.
???!!! What the???!!!
Here it is.
A cake made of MEATLOAF
with CATSUP FROSTING
and "40" spelled out in BACON!



The perfect ending to a perfect day.



7 comments:
Happy Birthday! And I love the cake, what a original idea!
Okay...seriously...that cake is something else. But for you, it sounds perfect. :0)
Sounds like a great birthday. Love the pics! Can't wait to see more.
Happy Birthday! That cake sounds delicious!!!! I love meatloaf. what a cool friend!
sorry I missed out on the happy hour. Jordan had school and a side job that day. glad you had a good day. I've heard 40 is awesome and your're the hottest, youngest looking 40 year old I know. seriously who would ever guess you were 40? not that 40 is bad anyway. you just look much younger.
feel better yet? ;)
love you!
xoxo
Happy Birthday! That's a lot of meatloaf!
Happy Birthday! I am sorry I missed this. So glad all your girlfriends showed up for your drink night too! Love the spa day too!
Ok the cake looks absolutely disgusting! No offense, but disgusting! Did you eat all of it? Was it good? Well, I hope you liked it!
Happy belated birthday! My hubby was a little thrown by 40 as well...and he isn't one to be bothered by such things normally. Guess it is a daunting number.
And I am laughing my butt off at the birthday meatloaf! That is awesome!
Oh My - thank you for commenting on my blog, now I found your blog and anyone who gets a meat cake for her birthday is someone I need to read about! A meat cake - I am still smiling as I type this and I can't wait to show my partner! What kind of meat was it? I have to disagree with Gwen - it looks yummy to me.
Happy Belated 40th!
Post a Comment