1.19.2009

When it rains it pours.

This morning I got to work and made my usual drink- green tea powder and vanilla hemp milk. When I got back to my office I had a few sips. It was really sour and just not right. So I walked back to the kitchen and took out the "milk." Rotten. Nasty. NASTY. I swore loudly. That's no news for anyone that knows me, even a little.

Little did I know that this would be the highlight of my day.

Around 1pm I got a sharp pain in my foot that dropped me to my knees. I have a nerve tumor that lives in my foot and has occasionally caused me some distress over the years (they were supposed to take it out during a prior foot surgery about 8 years ago but that's another bitch session altogether.) I could put NO weight on my foot. So after swearing loudly again I hopped and crawled around for the next few hours while my fabulous receptionist tried to track down some crutches. A lovely patient overheard and drove home to get me hers. Very sweet.

The day went on, not too stressful other than trying to do everything on crutches. I called the practice who did my surgery to get in for an appointment. Not only are there no appointments available for a month but if I want to see a different doc in the practice my prior surgeon (see above, grrr) has to give me permission. I asked the scheduler dryly what the point then would be of having a group practice but she didn't seem to understand the question. Again a few choice words flew- after I hung up, of course.

I finally get in my car to drive home- it's freezing cold and I'm juggling my bag and my crutches, almost falling on my ass getting into the car. Then about a half mile down the road I look at my dashboard and see a yellow light with an exclamation point. Hmmmm. I wait until I can pull over in a safe spot and pull out my manual. "Do NOT drive your car if this light is on." Um. OK?

Thankfully Jon was home and picked me up about half an hour later. I just left the car there. We'll see if we can get it towed to the shop before it starts getting tickets in the morning. I was safe and sound but very, very cold. The little mister was sobbing in the back seat "I want to get out" over and over again. Poor kid can't stand that car seat but c'mon I know he understands that he has to stay in it.

We arrive home and I go back to the bedroom to change.

I look over and the cat has puked all over my comforter.

Awesome.

Edited to add: As my child is feeling better, Obama is about to be sworn in, I have AAA and good health insurance (yes I'm knocking on my desk as I'm typing), I'm actually amused by all of this rather than irritated. Lucky Jon.

Edited again (!) to add: After a mere $75 diagnostic and a laundry list of things we should repair on the car, we learned that the light was "nothing." I can walk on my foot again, albeit gingerly. The associate at the doctor's office can get me in in 2 weeks. The cat puke cleaned up swimmingly. And as I was stranded at home yesterday with a bum foot and no car I got to curl up, watch the inauguration, and organize my to do list. It was worth it.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Oh dear lord. I sympathize and am thinking good thoughts for better days!
ps-maybe the hemp milk thing is really a sign that you need to drink a cuppa joe every day : )
-EH

veggiemom said...

Glad you found some positives. Yay for tomorrow. That makes everything better right now.

Michelle Smiles said...

Good lord. Samantha's very bad, awful, terrible day. Well, today is bound to be better. Hope it is better by leaps and bounds.

(Group practice sounds like morons - new group perhaps?)

Vanessa said...

Sending good luck vibes you way!! I hope you're up and walking again soon!!

Anonymous said...

booze.

e

Our Family of 5 said...

Hope it is getting better!!

Gwen, Jenny, & Mia said...

Wow! first of all 6 comments! You are popular : )

Sounds like a crappy day, but I am glad it got better. It couldn't have gotten much worse, could it?

Valerie said...

Oh man! And I thought I was having a bad week. You got me beat in only one day! Hope the rest of your week goes better!