It's been a long week but things are starting to look up.
I tend to be allergic to antibiotics and sure enough I had a reaction to the med that they gave me this time. I broke out head to toe in hives...on the palms of my hands, around my eyes, so many on my legs they all mushed into each other to become one giant hive. So they switched my antibiotic but I was on so much antihistamine (claritin AND 2 benadryl every 4 hours- still having breakthrough hives, by the way) that I was worried that I would have a reaction to the new antibiotic and wouldn't know it until it was too late. So I stopped and went back to the doctor. Turns out, after my doctor consulted with an infectious disease specialist and a pulmonologist that there is a simple blood test they are now doing to assess whether or not antibiotics are necessary.
I was on pins and needles as they decided if the level was low it meant I didn't need antibiotics, but if it was high I would have to check into the hospital for the new antibiotic so I could be monitored. It was low, thank god. (Too bad no one came up with that idea last week though...)
So now I'm looking at continuing the antihistamines until the hives are gone- 4-5 days probably, and resting until my lungs are better. My cough is still pretty bad but I don't feel like I'm drowning anymore. I'm heading home today and my mom will be here through the weekend (I am so incredibly grateful that she has been able to be here to help my boys...)
Thanks everyone for your calls, kind words, and thoughts.
xo
-s
3.06.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Glad things are starting to look up. I've been thinking about you.
Awwww! Hope you get to feeling better SOON! I also have lots of reactions to med (b/c I'm gluten free).
i'm sorry you were/are so sick...and you even had a reaction to the antibiotics.
So glad your mom was able to help and I am so glad you are feeling better.
omg, sam, i had NO idea! sorry you had to go through that. sounds rough. glad you are on the mend.
love and hugs.
Post a Comment