
I'm finally coming out of the woods here. I'm still tired, and I'm still coughing but I now just feel sick, not sick. I was able to hang out with my family a bit today, and I'm back to a tiny bit of organizing- that which makes me most me.
One of the things that I have been doing while home sick is stepping up my reading about raising a child of a different race. I personally feel that it is a big responsibility, making the choice to adopt internationally. Not only do we have the typical job of raising a healthy, happy child, but we have the job of making sure that we do the best job we possibly can of exposing him to his birth culture and then additionally supporting him as he faces the inevitable racism directed at him as a Latino man living in North America. Some days I wonder how on earth as a white girl raised in the burbs that I can even make a reasonable dent.
And then I take a deep breath. One step at a time. Step one is reading. Step two is thinking. Step three is acting. And for me, this means becoming an anti-racist parent. What may read to some as my 'losing my sense of humor' or 'overreacting' is an important choice I have made to not tolerate racist comments or jokes of any sort in my space, or my son's space. It means calling people out when they inadvertently (or deliberately) make a racist comment, and doing the best I can do personally to address my own racism that exists simply because of the culture within which I have been raised.
I recently started spending quite a bit of time on the blog called Anti-Racist Parent (I recommend this site to all of my readers with kids.) This week there was a link to a reading challenge called "Diversity Rocks!". It is a challenge to make a commitment to reading a certain number of books this year that were written by people of color. I challenge YOU to check it out and consider participating. Leave a comment if you decide to do it- I like to know that I'm in good company.
OK
Now for a few tidbits.
1. Julian keeps asking me if I'm better, then suggesting things that will make me feel better. One day I was sitting on the floor and he grabbed my head and moved it slowly back and forth. "Dat make you feel bedduh." The next night? "Kiss my foot mommy, dat make you feel bedduh." And today his offer? "You want my milky? Dat make you feel bedduh." So sweet.
2. Jon brought Julian to a birthday party that was at the local children's museum. There was a TV just at kid height showing Bob the Builder (no, we don't watch it) and when Julian saw it he ran at the TV, bounced off it, threw himself on the ground hysterical laughing, turned to his friend Megan and said "Megan, do this!" as he did it again. Megan looked at him like he was insane and Jon suddenly understood the innate difference between boys and girls.
3. Swim class continues to be a weekly event for Julian and Jon. Julian can now hold his breath and put his head underwater to blow bubbles. He lays on his back on the tub submerging his ears- just like I remember doing as a kid- everything sounds so cool like that.
4. Although Julian is a very good eater (knock on wood) I have been trying to slightly vary the foods he is being exposed to. I refuse to let his food allergies and sensitivities limit the breadth of his food options. Last night we had a Persian beef stew that someone made for us- containing garbanzo beans and cauliflower and flavored with, among other things, turmeric and lemon. He loved it. The night before we had brown rice pasta (our substitution) with a french lentil, carmelized onion and kale topping (we skipped the bread topping.) Another favorite lately is this simple recipe for roasted garlic green beans...I sprinkle them with truffle salt when they're done and call them "green bean french fries." Mmmm mmmm good!
5. My aunt sent Julian a package today. We handed it to him and he said "it's a hippo?!" I laughed and said "No, Julian, it's not a hippo, it's probably clothes." Well Julian opened the package and it was indeed clothing, including this hat and a sweatsuit with hippo zippers. Um...

And just for fun, one last shot.
Here I am with my mask on...feeding the elephant.

xo
s



6 comments:
Glad you're really on the mend. The hippo thing...weird.
Take care of yourself!! Loved reading your thoughts on anti-racism.
So glad you are feeling better!
So glad you are feeling better for real this time!
Love the pic of you feeding the elephant : ) Mia now pretends that she is a puppy or kitty and she will climb on the table and tell her to get down and she will say tell kitty so I have to tell "the kitty" to get down and then she gets down. sigh, why fight it right!
HI! I am making stops at all blogs I find with people with adopted children from Guatemala to extend an invitation to visit my blog. I was born and raised in Guatemala, later moved to the US and became a naturalized US citizen. We have one son adopted from Guatemala and two biological born in Guatemala. Having met various people with adopted children from Guatemala I felt I had a gift to give and that was share my heritage. In the blog I am posting all things Guatemalan: recipes, nursery rhymes, places to visit, etc.... If you do stop by and like it, please share, comment and ask for topics.
I'm sorry you are sick! Julian is such a cutie, that is so ironic there actually was a hippo in his package! I too try to make myself really aware of racism, thanks for the websites!
Post a Comment